Stalin State Museum is situated in Gori, in the town where Stalin was born. The complex of the museum was opened in 1957. In the house, where Stalin was born, the memorial museum was opened in 1937 ,during Stalin’s life-time.
A two-storeyed building with a tower was built by the project of Georgian architect Archil Kurdiani. The building is faced with Eclar stone. Billars decorated with ornaments and the vestibule revetted with red marble are very impressive.
The complex of the museum includes the memorial house, Stalin’s carriage and the two-storeyed exhibition building. In front of the building Stalin statue is situated (sculptor Silovan Kakabadze).
Unique displays: memorial things, presents, canvases, photo- and film documents are gathered in the museum.
A permanent exposition telling about Stalin’s life and activities is presented in six halls.
Materials of the first hall tell about Stalin’ s activities before and during the revolution.
The second hall embraces the period of 1925-1939 of the Soviet history when the Party led by Stalin fought for economic and cultural development of the country.
In the third hall there are documentary photos of the period of World War II. It’s possible to see here photos taken at Teheran, Yalta and Potsdam conferences. One of the interesting photos of Stalin without retouch is exhibited. One of the stands tells about Stalin’s private life.
In the fourth hall the sixth copy of Stalin’s death mask is placed between marble pillars (Author of the mask –sculptor M. Manizer). And here a canvas “Stalin in His Coffin” by a People’s painter of the USSR Japaridze is exhibited.
Presents to Stalin are exhibited in the fifth hall of the museum.
There are Stalin’s personal things and his study where he worked in 1918-1922 in the sixth hall.
Separate room of the museum is devoted to the period of repressions. It’s existed since 2010.
The aggregate space of the museum complex is 3 529,7 sq.m. In the reserve stockes of the museum about 40 000 article exhibits, documents, canvases and auxilliary materials are kept now. There is a scientific library in the museum.
A considerable part of the exhibits was given to the museum by the former Revolution Museum (Moscow) some years ago.